1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 Tbs maple syrup
1 large egg
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbs maple syrup
1 tbs fat-free milk
2 tsp butter, softened
top with: 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts (or pecans!) toasted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. To prepare cookies, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour through cloves in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
3. Place brown sugar and 1/4 cup butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until light and fluffy (about 4 minutes). Add 2 tbs. syrup andegg; beat until well blended. Beating at low speed, gradually add flour mixture; beat just until combined.
4. Spoon batter evenly into 30 mounds (about 1 tbs) 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 14 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on pans 5 mintues. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
5. To prepare frosting, combine powder sugar, 2 tbs syrup, milk, and 2 tsp butter, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Spread frosting evenly over cooled cookies. Working quickly, sprinkle cookies with nuts. Yield: 30 cookies. Serving size: 1 cookie; calories=98, fat 3.3 g, fiber 0 g.